Wednesday 7 June 2017

#VoteLabour OR What's Everything Else Got to Do With It? | TURN LEFT and Make June the End of May



Second post of the day. Last one before we all vote. I'm just in from canvassing, bit chilled and hoping that the rain blows itself away before tomorrow. 

I’ve run out of time… There were so many more pieces I wanted to write in my What’s …. Got to Do With It? series.... On my list I have Education; Life and Death; Health and Illness; War and Peace; Arts and Creativity; Animal Rights; Poverty; Difference and Diversity... and more.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has liked, commented on and shared the pieces I have written in the run up to #GE2017. Whatever happens on June 8th, whatever the result, I will continue to write about my political concerns, but more of that another day. For now just a reference to a piece I read today that helped me to reflect on the last few weeks and then a few personal thoughts.

Yesterday Edward Luce published an article entitled ‘Britain’s Voyage to Inglorious Isolation’ in The New York Times. He wrote:  

First there was the Brexit drama. Now comes the farce. Almost a year after a narrow majority of Britons voted to pull out of the European Union, British voters face a general election on Thursday that was as unwanted as it was unexpected.

One thing on which all people agree about Britain’s prime minister, Theresa May: She knows how to keep a secret. Even senior party colleagues were taken unawares by the timing of the snap June 8 election. Most still appear to be in the dark about what their campaign message is supposed to be. The prime minister’s mantra, ‘Strong and stable leadership,’ was fine as far as it went. But to what larger purpose?

‘Brexit means Brexit’ also has a clean ring to it, but Mrs. May has had trouble spelling out what a post-European Britain would look like. There is a world of difference between an amicable divorce and a messy one.

A more honest slogan would be: Making the best of a bad job.

Indeed. 

Later in his article Luce continues:

As Election Day approaches, Britain’s voters seem disenchanted with the choices offered. The recent terrorist attacks, first in Manchester, now in London, have only reinforced the public’s sceptical mood about their political leaders — all of which raises the chances of a hobbled British government even less able to handle the Brexit negotiations than before. 


Here, I have to disagree. As innumerable people, including even Tory politicians and Right leaning journalists, are saying Labour’s election campaign
has been head, shoulders, torso, legs and feet above that of the Conservatives and the enthusiasm, energy and positivity of Labour’s shadow cabinet, members and supporters has surpassed many people’s expectations. Jeremy Corbyn and others have been almost constantly on the road speaking to huge crowds enjoying the sun or huddled under umbrellas: public sector professionals and celebrities have come out in force in support of Labour and the internet has been full of feel-good stories, vids and memes to counter the hostile coverage from much of the mainstream media.


So some final declarations. It’s obvious of course where my vote will go, but just in case: I’M VOTING LABOUR. I’m voting Labour for hope in the future. I’m voting Labour for the many not the few. I’m voting Labour to save the NHS. I'm voting Labour because I believe in the opportunity of a good education for everyone. I’m voting Labour for a better future for those who are younger than me. I’m voting Labour for better care for those that are older than me. I'm voting Labour for myself. I’m voting Labour for a safer world. I’m voting Labour because I too have a vision for a shared society. I’m voting Labour because I want no one, no place or no community to be left behind. I’m voting Labour because I do not support cuts, closure and privatisation. I’m voting Labour for Jeremy Corbyn for PM.

I’M VOTING LABOUR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment